Arts Core Requirements
Sometime before you graduate, preferably in your first two years, you will want to fulfill your Arts Core requirements. These are a set of courses that all Arts majors must take. If possible, start taking some of these courses in your first year, to get these requirements out of the way.
- 6h in English at the 1000-level. Which English should I take?
- 6 h in a single language other than English. What languages are offered?
- 6 h in economics, political science, sociology, or women’s and gender studies. Which should I take?
- 6 h in art (not 2013, 2023, 3013, 3023), classics, comparative religion, history, philosophy, music (not applied, vocal or instrumental methods, or practical studies) or women’s and gender studies. Which should I take?
- Note: Arts students also have to take 6 h in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Science, but since Psychology is in Science, this requirement is already taken care of by your major.
General notes: Note throughout that 6 h would equal one full-year course, or two half-year courses. Requirement #1 obviously has to be all English. Requirement #2 has to be in a single language, so you must do all French or all German, for example; you can’t do 3 h of French and 3 h of German. For Requirements #3 and #4, though, it is fine to mix and match – for example, you could do 3 h of political science plus 3 h of sociology to fulfill Requirement #3. Also note that you can only count 6 h of women’s and gender studies (WGST) total towards the art core requirements. So, you could take WGST courses to fulfill requirement #3, or requirement #4, or 3 h of each of these requirements. However, it is not acceptable to use WGST courses to fulfill BOTH requirement #3 and requirement #4, as that would total 12 h.